Lady Washington, Engine Company No. 40, New York City.
built by James Smith of NYC in 1832.
shown above at the Bowery Theater fire of 1835.
Wheels often must be repaired and repainted before the rest of a fire engine needs work. Below are two engines that only needed the wheels restored. The green engine was built by Sellers & Pennock of Philadelphia. The faded green was a hard color to match with modern paints. Many old pigments have ingredients that are no longer available to painter makers, such as sulfur, mercury, lamp black and blood.